The Aubrey and Marla Dan Fund for New Musicals is the first ever fund exclusively for the commissioning of new Canadian musical works. The fund offers financial and dramaturgical support to creators in developing new musicals. Ideas that exemplify the most potential will be awarded an $8,000 commission from The Musical Stage Company and a reading or workshop of a draft.
The Musical Stage Company is committed to the development and production of new Canadian musical works. As such, projects may be offered additional development or production opportunities upon completion of the commission.
Eligibility & Terms
The fund is available on a project-by-project basis to individual musical theatre creators, teams of musical theatre creators, and theatre creation collectives.
Commission agreements will include first right of refusal for a first production, and nominal share of proceeds from successful work in line with industry standards.
The fund is granted through one of two streams: Invitation to Submit and Call for Submissions / Presentations.
Invitation to Submit:
- The Musical Stage Company may grant commission funding to projects after inviting the writers to submit a proposal at any time of the year.
Call for Submissions / Presentations:
- An open Call for Submissions shall be announced in March of each calendar year (see “Dates” for specific 2018 information).
Submission Dates for 2018:
- Early March, 2018: Submission Open
- May 15, 2018: Submission Due
- June 1, 2018: Notification of Presentation Selection
- July 23-25, 2018: Presentations Occur
Because the commissions will be awarded through either the “Invitation to Submit” or “Call for Proposals” process, funding decisions will be made on a rolling basis. Both of these processes are intended to familiarize The Musical Stage Company with worthy projects to consider for immediate or future funding. As such, funding decisions may not be immediate and further follow up may be required. However, feedback from the Presentations will be available in written form immediately if requested.
Applications open early March, 2018. When applications are open, please submit the following to Robyn, Production Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org before May 15, 2018:
Expression of Interest:
- A one-page project proposal (PDF) including:
- What the project is about;
- What you need developmentally;
- Why it is a fit for The Musical Stage Company;
- A list of any existing developmental partners.
- Two audio mp3 samples either from the submitted work or from a previous work by the creator(s).
Works shall be selected for in person presentations and Creators will be notified of their selection by early June for presentations in late July (see “dates” for specific 2018 information).
- Presentations will be allocated a 45 minutes time slot (30 for presentation; 15 for questions)
- The presentation may be in whatever manner the Creators deem most helpful, it is recommended that each presentation include:
- A Synoposis;
- Excerpts of Scenes;
- At least 2 songs (one of which much be from the project being pitched).
- A piano will be provided in the room, Creators are responsible for any additional resources that they require.
For any questions about the Aubrey & Marla Dan Fund for New Musicals, please email our Production Coordinator, Robyn, at email@example.com
The Aubrey & Marla Dan Charitable Foundation