MARQUEE is a free arts program that seeks to empower LGBTQ2S youth in Toronto by connecting them to the stories and songs of The Musical Stage Company productions.
MARQUEE is open to anyone ages 16-29 who identifies as LGBTQ2S selected through a simple application process. No previous experience in the arts is necessary. We particularly encourage applications from LGBTQ2S folks with diverse experiences, especially those who are: Two-Spirit, transgender, non-binary, Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, people with disabilities, living with mental illness, and/or have experiences of homelessness.
What does MARQUEE offer?
- A great community of art-loving LGBTQ2S peers and mentors
- A free ticket for you and a guest to see the musical Next to Normal
- Creative storytelling and theatre workshops with top Toronto artists
- TTC tokens and snacks provided at all MARQUEE activities
- An opportunity to make art and make new friends in an affirming space!
Applications for MARQUEE 2019 are now closed.
The 2019 MARQUEE program will take place over 3 weeks, with 3 sessions for participants:
- Thursday, April 25, 5 PM – 9 PM
- Thursday, May 9, 5 PM – 9 PM
- Saturday, May 18, 2 PM
Note: Priority will be given to applicants who are available to attend all three sessions.
Over three sessions, 30 LGBTQ2S youth from Toronto and surrounding areas participated in hands-on arts sessions, connected with LGBTQ2S peers and mentors, and attended Fun Home for free. Among the numerous highlights was a theatre workshop facilitated by Laura Condlln, Alison in Fun Home.
The opportunity for participants to gather in an affirming space, and to witness representation in the theatre, was profound.
MARQUEE is a program from The Musical Stage Company, made possible by TD Bank Group and offered in partnership with The AMY Project.
Marquee Program Sponsor