In Real Life
Set in a dystopian future, technological prodigy Max is an ideal student with a bright future until, with a single swipe, he sets out on a journey to forbidden corners of the internet, underground societies, and forgotten parts of himself. In a story filled with twists and turns, IN REAL LIFE looks at power, technology, and freedom as Max fights to save his loved ones and himself from an uncertain future that looks bleaker by the minute.
Slated to have its first workshop production with 4th year students at Sheridan College in spring 2020, IN REAL LIFE made a nimble switchover to a two-week digital workshop over Zoom. Director Ann Hodges, working with a remarkable team of artists, including music supervisor Chris Barillaro, Projection & Video designer Nick Bottomley, and choreographer Janie Pinard continued to push forward with the development of the script. They dug into Nick’s latest draft, explored music that Kevin had either newly composed or revised in the past few months, and finally created an astonishing music video using Zoom as a performance “venue” of the piece’s opening number “A Million”.
Commissioned with funding by the Aubrey & Marla Dan Fund for New Musicals
music & lyrics by
book & lyrics by
Frequently Asked Questions
– May 23-26, 2019; The Musical Stage Company-funded workshop with actors at Sheridan College in Oakville.
– September 12-15, 2019; The Musical Stage Company-funded workshop with actors at 918 Bathurst Street.
– December 2-6, 2019; Sheridan College-funded workshop with 4th-year students at Sheridan College in Oakville.
– February 17-18, 2020; The Musical Stage Company-funded workshop with actors at Dancemakers.
– Sheridan workshops & virtual performance 2020