General Auditions: Call for Actors, Musicians & Artistic Teams
The Musical Stage Company is Canada’s largest and leading charitable musical theatre organization. Our musical productions – including award-winning contemporary musicals, world premieres, and concerts – are seen live by 30,000 people over the 80+ nights that we are onstage annually. We are looking to meet an expanded network of performers, directors, choreographers, music directors, and designers, both emerging and established. These General Auditions will be hosted online and in person in December 2021.
We request that no agent packages be sent as we are interested in experiencing the artist’s individual voice through their Artist Statement. Agents are still welcome to submit clients for specific shows at any time.
TO SHARE YOUR WORK AS A PERFORMER:
- A brief Artist Statement (250 words max for written statements OR a 30 second max video) that introduces you as an artist. We encourage you to express yourself in whatever way you are most comfortable with.
- Head shot
Selected artists will be invited to an online or in-person audition slot. If you are invited to an audition, you will be asked to prepare:
- One contemporary musical theatre song (approx 32 bar cut) that shows your range as an actor and as a vocalist. If you play any instruments, you are invited to play/accompany yourself for your audition too. In addition to your song, we are also happy to give you the option of including a contrasting monologue and/or dance piece. This is your opportunity to really showcase your creativity and your strengths as a performer – we want to get to know you, on your own terms.
TO SHARE YOUR WORK AS A DIRECTOR, CHOREOGRAPHER, MUSIC DIRECTOR AND/OR DESIGNER*:
- A brief Artist Statement (250 words max for written statements OR a 30 second max video) that introduces you and your artistic practice. We encourage you to express yourself in whatever way you are most comfortable with.
Selected artists will be invited to attend a follow-up session online or in person with our Artistic Director and artistic team. If you are invited to a meeting, please prepare the following:
- A digital portfolio that showcases your work. This can be a video or audio reel (3 minutes max), or images/visuals (10 pages max). This is your opportunity to create something that is quintessentially you and that showcases your uniqueness, your work, and your process as an artist.
*Please note that writers and composers wishing to introduce themselves and their work to us should do so via one of the programs listed on our website’s In Development page.
Deadline to Submit: 5:00pm ET October 27, 2021
Online: December 6th, 2021
In-person (Toronto): December 13th, 14th, & 15th, 2021
All in-person activities will follow public health protocols including distancing, capacity limits and wearing masks.
- Please fill out the Submission Form no later than 5:00pm ET on October 27, 2021. Please follow the form’s instructions to upload or email in your Artist Statement (written or video), Resume, and Head Shot (for Performers).
- Please submit written Artist Statements as a PDF and video Artist Statements as a link (e.g. unlisted YouTube link or private Vimeo link with password). Any videos sent as attachments will, unfortunately, not be reviewed.
- We especially encourage folx who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, LGBTQ2S+, d/Deaf, Mad, Disabled/People with Disabilities, and/or Neurodiverse to submit. Artists who we have not previously met will also be prioritized.